2012 SPE Student Scholarship Opportunities
Society for Photographic Education / Deadline: 11/01/11
SPE student members can apply for scholarships to offset the cost of attending SPE's 2012 National Conference. All awards include a 2012 national conference fee waiver and a one-year membership to SPE.
Scholarships are to attend the 2012 SPE National Conference in San Francisco March 22-25, 2012.
• Applicants must be currently matriculated students enrolled at a post-secondary institution as an undergraduate or graduate student majoring/concentrating in photography not graduating before the end of the academic year 2011-2012.
• Applicants must be student members of SPE or become members before submitting their scholarship application. Visit www.spenational.org for information.
• Applicants are not eligible to receive the same award for two consecutive years, and cannot receive two awards in one year.
• Applicants submitting to more than one award must submit different bodies of work.
Submit your materials online beginning September 1, 2011.
Submit online via http://spenational.slideroom.com. There will be a $10 fee for submitting a portfolio.
• A cohesive body of work with no more than FIVE images. Images around 1280 x 1280 px @ 72 ppi are ideal for good image quality and fast upload.
• A succinct artist statement of 200 words or less.
• A statement addressing how attendance at the conference will benefit you, as well as an overview of prior involvement with SPE or other arts organizations.
• A description of the conceptual basis of your work and its technical qualities, including a description of processes used.
• A brief resume, including name, address, phone number, email address and current institutional affiliation, and educational and professional experience.
• Contact information for a current photography professor (include name, title, email, and phone number.)
Applications that do not fulfill all requirements may be eliminated
from the competition.
Ten SPE Awards are offered and feature a $500 travel stipend to attend the national conference.
THE SPE AWARD FOR INNOVATIONS IN IMAGING
in honor of Jeannie Pearce
The SPE Award for Innovations in Imaging, in honor of Jeannie Pearce is open to all eligible students working primarily with digital technology and is designated for work only possible because of emerging digital technologies-no alternative processes or gelatin silver prints. A project description describing how the work is possible as a result of emerging digital technologies is required as part of the submission process. Jurors will seek to award work that demonstrates the most innovative, unique, and freshest uses of digital technologies.
THE FREESTYLE CRYSTAL APPLE AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING
ACHIEVEMENT IN BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY
The Freestyle Crystal Apple Award for Outstanding Achievement in Black and White Photography is generously sponsored by Freestyle Photographic Supplies. Freestyle's goal in offering this award is to provide greater support for students working in traditional black and white silver imaging and alternative processes. One student will be awarded a $5,000 cash prize. The sponsoring faculty member will be presented with an engraved crystal apple. SPE provides a 2012 national conference fee waiver, and a one-year membership to SPE for both faculty and student. Please note: sponsoring faculty must teach at the institution where the student is currently enrolled. All light-sensitive processes, including alternative processes (Van Dyke brown, platinum, albumen, gum bichromate, cyanotype, kallitype, salt, liquid emulsion, lith printing, hand coloring, bromoil, modern day tintype, etc.) are eligible for this award as long as the end product is a gelatin silver or handmade alternative process print. No digital prints accepted.
This year's jurors are SPE national board members serving on the Awards and Recognition Committee: Christina Z. Anderson (chair), Sama Alshaibi, and Liz Wells.
Society for Photographic Education 2530 Superior Ave, #403
Cleveland, OH 44114